Sunday, April 12, 2009

I have a young cottonwood tree. How do I tell if it is a female-cotton later&I'd get rid of or a male-to keep?

The treee is only a couple of yuears old, so no cotton yet, but I want to get rid of it if it is a feamle and going to produce all that cotton type of alergin seed. I want to keep it if it is a non cotton producing cottonwood. I don%26#039;t want the roots to get too strong before getting rid of it if it is a female. Thanks!

I have a young cottonwood tree. How do I tell if it is a female-cotton later%26amp;I%26#039;d get rid of or a male-to keep?
Try these sites for more information. You may be out of luck for determining the sex of the tree till it begins to flower, though, is what I%26#039;m reading. http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CSFS/Aspe...


Here%26#039;s a funny usda pdf document, titled Sex and the Single Salix. lol Look on page 5 of that doc for information on sex determination of your cottonwood. http://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/pubs/ja/ja_la...





Happy Yardening!
Reply:If it%26#039;s a male it will not produce any seeds. If it%26#039;s a female it will produce seeds. So if it looks like it%26#039;s going to produce seeds other wise if it flowers it a female tree. Get rid of it if you don%26#039;t want the female tree. The roots don%26#039;t go deep. So digging it up will not be any problem


Chuck



dental

No comments:

Post a Comment